Tuesday, September 29, 2009

rewrite Intro 1

Water lilies have always been auspicious and meaningful to me. They have always been reminders, symbols, of a precious childhood and the people I adored within it. Their stenchy musk has always turned pretty at my nose because of what it conjures up in my head. A man with a huge buddha smile, a voracious appetite for life, and a simplistic humor that could make wise men blush. He may have turned into a water lily, if my mind's eye could have it's way. Calm at the surface, rolling with the current underneath.

1 comment:

  1. Laney--you're a student tonight, not a writer. Write like a student (a very good one) and then, as I promised I'll unleash LA power in future essays.

    Study the five graf essay and its limitations. Think of what you can pour into that limited format that will still do you proud and not make you feel that you are writing beneath your ability.

    The limitations are ways to focus yourself--they limit what you can do but the limits can be rewarding too.

    Take that 'Love always ends in megadoses of pain' essay, published under the pen name Angele Ecks. The writer has written about that situation many times, has sold stories based on the same material--would the writer send that five graf essay to a literary magazine? Of course not, but the writer is certainly not ashamed of the effort--it deals in a simplified way with some of the elements of the tale and for all its silliness still rivets 20 students to their seats whenever I read it aloud.

    ReplyDelete

Followers