Monday, September 28, 2009

Intro 1

I always thought a fish might come nibble at my fingers if I laced them through the water long enough. If I had the patience to keep my hand semi-submerged in the cold. If I had the fortitude my father always talked about. I learned slowly the salt of my fingers didn't compare to the desire for desperate, wriggling worms pierced through with a hook. I'd turn to look at my father at the stern, sitting on a life jacket, patches of dark spots on the thighs of his jeans where the water had spattered from the paddle, left and right, right and left. He'd smile and tell me that only loved little girls were allowed to leave the house with the rise of the sun. Only adored little girls sat in the middle of the canoe to trace the ribs with her fingers, the scent of Iranian coffee on the breeze. "You must be quiet," he'd say, "the little creatures we're after are more shy than you." His friend, his brother, would smile at the bow and lead the way.

1 comment:

  1. I told you I was worried about hitching a hummingbird to a dung cart and here we go. This is fine stuff for a 'real' essay but you're going to be writing a student-type five graf essay. They are not invariably studentish. They can do wonderful things. But the writer has to do those wonderful things within a set format: writers do not sneer at the requirements of the Petrarchan sonnet or the triple-decker Victorian novel, but yet good ones often find the five-graf essay hard going--demanding without being rewarding,. A canny writer can do things with them, however.

    In any case, by the end of the first graf, the student needs to make clear to the reader what the topic is and give some idea of the causes for X that will be analyzed in the essay.

    Write me a corker of a five-graf essay, a standard sort of five graf essay. Add all the fancy filigree you like, but make it recognizable. When you've done that and if you like, I'll slip off the five-graf leash in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Followers