Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Graf #8

After reading some of the cause essays, I found myself both taken aback and delighted by the amount of disclosure and vulnerability presented. My husband always reminds me, "not everything is personal!" and I always disagree. I think it should be if it's going to mean anything. The human element is always personal and I found that each essay had a common humanity. A common theme of emotions and experiences being expressed, albeit they were dressed in slightly different clothes and those clothes had slightly different wear. Despite our differences we are all made of fear, love, anger, aspirations. As simplified as it may be, I wonder if the wise men had it right. When you look at one person, you can see every person.

1 comment:

  1. "When you look at one person, you can see every person."

    That's death for a writer to believe.

    Each person has their own story. Do you remember the opening of 'Anna Karenina'--"Every happy family is the same but each unhappy family is different.' The happy families in AK get boring pretty fast, but the unhappy families always manage to surprise us. The universal is deadly, the particular is life--and that quotation exalts the universal.

    ReplyDelete

Followers